Follow me on my pathtojunkentreasure as I hunt for treasures at flea markets, garage sales, rummage sales, thrift stores, estate sales and even on the side of the road. I'll share my love of ironstone, hammered aluminum, vintage Christmas, vintage jewelry, doilies and tablecloths, flower frogs, garden items and anything rusty and chippy. You can find me at Carriage House Antiques in Crystal Lake Illinois. Please join me on my pathtojunkentreasure!

Saturday, April 20, 2013

Treasure Hunting in Rockford

My friend Cecilia and I went treasure hunting in Rockford yesterday.  We had no idea that we would be driving in blinding snow/sleet and being really cold.  But, we did have fun anyway.  We went to The Vintage Market on Garfield Street which is held in a home on a dead end street.  It was really fun and wow! to set up a sale like that in one's own home is truly amazing.  The sale was set up inside in the kitchen, living room and dining room and also outside.  Lots of goodies and wonderful jewelry.  I bought a necklace that has, Garage Sale Girl, inside of a bauble.  I loved it right away.  How well it fits what I love to do.  It was made by Jeannie Labelle and she can be found on the TheVintageMarket.net website or on facebook at facebook/Jeannie.Labelle.  Cecilia had been admiring these religious inspired bracelets that Jeannie makes and found one that she loved.  Jeannie makes wonderful vintage looking jewelry using lots of vintage items.  Her creations are fabulous! We also walked out with bunches of lavender.  I love the smell of lavender.  My van smelled great all day long.  There was a nice crowd even though the wind and cold were brutal.  There was a tent set up outside for paying and those poor souls were freezing.  It is amazing how even the cold won't keep us away from treasure hunting.

Afterwards, we stopped off at an estate sale on Jefferson Street.  They were the kindest elderly people ever.  We had loads of fun there too.  I left with linens for 50 cents to $3, a made in England floral pottery piece for $2, and a bracelet for $4.  Cecilia also found some treasures:  2 rugs for $15, a handmade rug with a wonderful cat pattern for $10, linens, jewelry and notecards for 25 cents.  We had a few minutes to stop in a church rummage sale on the way home, but didn't find anything.  Since we were on a schedule to pick up the kids from school, we needed to head home.  We had so much more on the list to do, but that will have to wait for the next time.  And, there will be a next time.

I had so much fun yesterday.  Cecilia and I share the love to treasure hunt, but have different likes so we don't fight over the same items.  It's refreshing to have an honest opinion on treasures that we saw.  We also got some great ideas for future crafting projects.  Nothing like treasure hunting with lots of laughs with a friend.

Here are some places that we didn't have time to visit, but will go to on the next trip:
Just a Second 1710 N. Main Street in Rockford
The White Trunk at 1706 Rural St in Rockford will open on May 14
Urban Farmgirl 2202 Rural St in Rockford opened twice a month/next dates May 9-11 and 23-25
To see what vendors were at The Vintage Market, check out TheVintageMarket.net

There is a rummage sale on Thursday April 25th at the Methodist Church in Crystal Lake starting at 5pm.  The Presbyterian Church on Route 47 in Woodstock will have there rummage sale in the morning starting at 8am.  The Church in Ridgefield is having their rummage sale on May 3rd starting at 8am.  I went to a few rummage sales this week, but didn't find anything.  I'm just glad to have gone to the sales.  The Cary Library and the Crystal Lake library book sales were really nice.  I found a lot of books at both.

Happy treasure hunting!  I hope the weather warms up soon so that garage sales will be plentiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment