Follow me on my pathtojunkentreasure as I hunt for treasures at flea markets, garage sales, rummage sales, thrift stores, estate sales and even on the side of the road. I'll share my love of ironstone, hammered aluminum, vintage Christmas, vintage jewelry, doilies and tablecloths, flower frogs, garden items and anything rusty and chippy. You can find me at Carriage House Antiques in Crystal Lake Illinois. Please join me on my pathtojunkentreasure!

Monday, October 3, 2011

Cider Festival and Beginning Garden Clean-Up

Sunday was the annual Cider Festival at the Historical Museum in Union.  (I heard that it may not be next year).  There is free admission to the museum on this day and the Quilt tour was going on.  It was nice to see quilts from the 1800's  and up.  If you have never been to the museum, it is a must for local history.  The exhibit this year was on the town of Harvard. 

During the Cider Festival, they have a demonstration on making cider with a press, a one room school and cabin and a tractor race, plus other fun things.  The best part is the white elephant sale that always has great things to buy, including books.  We got there a little late, but, most things after 2pm were half price.  So, we shopped.  I got some really nice costume jewelry and linens.  I found a wonderful crochet apron and dresser scarf.  Of course the kids found a few things too.  But, at half price, who could resist.    It is a nice way to spend the day and this year the weather was fantastic.

They hold an event every July too.  Make sure to mark your calendars.  It is usually in the middle of the month. 

I spent some time today cleaning up my vegetable garden.  I still have a lot to go.  I made sure to relocate my lavender to give it time to acclimate.  I don't usually clean up the perennial plants until the Spring. (Unless they are showing signs of disease)  I like to give the birds seeds to eat, but the garden also looks better in the snow with plants in it.  It gives the snow something to cling to.  The garden centers are having sales now on plants.  This is the time to buy and to save money.  Fall is the perfect time to plant, so go out and buy those plants you wanted all summer. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment