Follow me on my pathtojunkentreasure as I hunt for treasures at flea markets, garage sales, rummage sales, thrift stores, estate sales and even on the side of the road. I'll share my love of ironstone, hammered aluminum, vintage Christmas, vintage jewelry, doilies and tablecloths, flower frogs, garden items and anything rusty and chippy. You can find me at Carriage House Antiques in Crystal Lake Illinois. Please join me on my pathtojunkentreasure!

Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Gardening

It's always so sad when gardening season comes to a close.  We have enjoyed lots of tomatoes this year as well as hot peppers.  Ethan has discovered that he really likes hot peppers and tries to find the hottest one by eating them all.  It's funny to watch him when his mouth is on fire! Last week, I had the boys pull the plants out of the garden.  It looks so empty now.

For those of you that don't know, I am a Master Gardener in McHenry County through the University of Illinois Extension.  I help out as much as I can on our community garden in Harvard Illinois. Every Monday during the growing season is harvest day so the vegetables can be taken to the food pantry for next day distribution.  So far this year over 5000 pounds have been harvested and donated.  Next week will be our last day of harvesting and then the hard work of cleaning up the garden begins.


It is so rewarding to be a part of this garden.  I have met some wonderful people not to mention that we have a great time while working.  The time just flies when we are laughing and talking with each other.

I have one part left in my garden to clean up.  I had put in a few raised beds and they have been shaded out in the past few years.  I plan on pulling them out and just leveling the ground where they were.  Since the weather is turning cooler, I'll be working on that project soon.

Flea market season is also coming to an end at some of my favorite markets.  Sunday is the last flea market in Cedarburg Wisconsin for the season.  It is also the harvest fair at the Union Historical museum in Union,  First Methodist church in Barrington is having their rummage sale starting on Friday at 9am.  Take advantage of the last garage sales that are going on.

Happy treasure hunting!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Milena,
    Yep our weather is definitely feeling more like fall. Very chilly today for sure. My flowers are still going ok even with this cooler weather moving in.
    Have a great week.
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it is sad to see all the flowers fading. Some of mine are still vibrant but the cold nights will get them. I didn't have a vegetable garden but I took advantage of roadside stands to get fresh veggies all summer. Even sadder is the disappearing of garage sales!!

    ReplyDelete