Follow me on my pathtojunkentreasure as I hunt for treasures at flea markets, garage sales, rummage sales, thrift stores, estate sales and even on the side of the road. I'll share my love of ironstone, hammered aluminum, vintage Christmas, vintage jewelry, doilies and tablecloths, flower frogs, garden items and anything rusty and chippy. You can find me at Carriage House Antiques in Crystal Lake Illinois. Please join me on my pathtojunkentreasure!

Monday, October 8, 2012

Cider Festival

We attended the Cider Festival in Union on Sunday.  It was the perfect day for being outside.  There didn't seem to be the usual crowd, but we didn't get there until after 1pm.  Our first stop, as usual, was to the white elephant sale.  I managed to find a gardening book for $1 and some crochet needles for 25 cents to 50 cents.  I tried to crochet once, but couldn't seem to figure it out.  Since then, I have become pretty good at knitting, but still feel that I'm missing something by not crocheting.  So, I'm taking a class this month.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this time I'll figure it out.  Austin found a joke book that he read to us while we were shopping around.  He had us laughing.  Ethan only wanted a jug of apple cider and Caldwell found a few dvd's for 50 cents each.  We spent time in the museum and walking around talking to people we knew.  We had a nice time.  Next year's date is October 6th.

Thursday is a rummage sale in Huntley at the church on Main St.  It starts at 12 noon.  This is another of my favorite sales.

I have mentioned before that I am a Master Gardener, but I probably didn't mention that I work on a community garden in Harvard once a week during the growing season.  All of the food harvested goes to the food pantry in Harvard.  The last few weeks we have had an overabundance of tomatoes that some were taken to the food pantry in Marengo.  Anyway, the garden was put to rest today for the season and a total of 8815 lbs of produce was harvested this year.  It is a new record for us.  It is so much fun to work along side of the other Master Gardeners and volunteers that come out to help.  I learn so much each week and the feeling of doing something good for others is very strong.  I look forward to next year when we will start over again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment