Follow me on my pathtojunkentreasure as I hunt for treasures at flea markets, garage sales, rummage sales, thrift stores, estate sales and even on the side of the road. I'll share my love of ironstone, hammered aluminum, vintage Christmas, vintage jewelry, doilies and tablecloths, flower frogs, garden items and anything rusty and chippy. You can find me at Carriage House Antiques in Crystal Lake Illinois. Please join me on my pathtojunkentreasure!

Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Strawberry Picking

Today was the most absolutely perfect day to go strawberry picking.  I have always taken the boys (since they were little) to McCann's Berry Farm on Kishwaukee Valley Rd in Woodstock.  It is a U-Pick strawberry and blueberry farm.  We also got lucky today and bought some sugar snap peas.

Austin and I spent some time gathering the strawberries.  I think that he ate more than he picked!  I really love this farm because they never stop the kids from "sampling" the berries.  It is so much fun to watch the kids enjoying themselves.  I have a lot of happy memories from berry picking.  I was thinking about some of them today......since.....Ethan left on Sunday to go to a camp for two weeks.  It was the first time he has gone away.  Time sure flies!

I used to make about 30 jars of strawberry jam.  We ate so much of it when the boys were younger and I gave a lot of it away as gifts.  I haven't made strawberry jam in awhile.  Instead, I freeze them and use them throughout the year for crisps and strawberry bread. 

Blueberry picking begins around the middle of July.  We will be there!  Probably eating as we pick.

No comments:

Post a Comment