Follow me on my pathtojunkentreasure as I hunt for treasures at flea markets, garage sales, rummage sales, thrift stores, estate sales and even on the side of the road. I'll share my love of ironstone, hammered aluminum, vintage Christmas, vintage jewelry, doilies and tablecloths, flower frogs, garden items and anything rusty and chippy. You can find me at Carriage House Antiques in Crystal Lake Illinois. Please join me on my pathtojunkentreasure!

Friday, May 11, 2012

Another Fun Day

I had a great day today!  I started out by going to 2 estate sales in McHenry.  I was actually 6th on line to the first one.  I haven't been that early in a long time.  It was such a beautiful day that I didn't mind waiting for the sale.  I sat on the front porch in the sun.  This house was packed with stuff.  I found a really nice milk glass piece for $4, 2 really cool 50's drinking glasses with house items on it for $2 each, 3 graters/zesters for $1 each (I have been looking for these for awhile, but didn't want to spend about $10 for each at the store) and a tiny crochet piece for $1.  At the 2nd estate sale, I found an enamel pitcher for $5, a Christmas tree pin for $2 and 2 pairs of earrings for $1 each. 

I stopped at 2 neighborhood sales in McHenry and didn't find anything.  It was kind of disappointing.  There were mostly kids clothes/baby toys.  Nothing that I was interested in except 1 Nintendo DS game for the boys that was $5. 

I decided to go back to the Service League sale at the Dole Mansion in Crystal Lake.  Today was half price and $1 a bag for clothes.  As soon as I walked in, I saw these crystal candlesticks that I wanted yesterday, but didn't want to pay $6 for.  So, since they were $3 today, I bought them.  I also found a really nice wing back chair with blue fabric that was half price at $10.  It had a Mueller Interiors label under the cushion so I know that the chair was costly at one time.  I couldn't refuse it.  I needed a chair in my living room.  It is in pretty good condition, but I will clean it up a little and add a pillow to it.  I may have it reupholstered at a later date, but for now, I will keep it as is.  The ladies even carried it down the stairs for me and loaded it in my van.  I was very excited about this purchase.  I bought 2 nice things yesterday and today for my house and it only cost me $25 for a mirror and chair.  Now that is the way to decorate.  I love not having to spend a lot of money for quality items.  Sometimes it just takes time to find the right piece.  I did find some brand new pants for me and for Austin for school and with the bag sale, I only paid 25 cents each.  Not to mention that the pants were designer names like Ann Taylor for me.  The best part is that I tried them on at home and they fit!

My final stop of the day was at the Covered Bridge neighborhood sale in Crystal Lake.  I go to this sale every year.  I even ran into my neighbor and a new friend that I met at her garage sale who I keep seeing at other sales since then.  How fun!  Anyway, I found a few books for the kids and a pile of doilies for me that were priced from 25 cents to $2.  They were the ladies grandmothers.  I love the stories behind them and love using them even more.  They were in great condition.  I was happy to find them.

I may try to go back to the estate sales tomorrow for half price day.  I hope I find the time.  There are still some things I wouldn't mind buying if they are still there.

I even had time to cut the lawn today with the help of everyone.  There was so much to do.  I hung up the iron bird cage that I bought yesterday at the Carriage House.  I hung it on the trellis in the backyard and moved an iron bench that I have to under it also.  It really looks nice.  You can't see the bench that well from my picture.  I harvested a lot of the lettuce for a salad that we ate at dinner.  I still have a lot left.  I need to plant my tomatoes this week since the weather is starting to get warmer and nicer.  Everything is ready to be planted. 

No comments:

Post a Comment